iCloud integration - two factor authentication and app-specific passwords
In order to integrate an iCloud calendar with YouCanBook.me, you will need to enable two-factor authentication on your iCloud account and then generate an app-specific password for YouCanBook.me. This is an iCloud requirement that was put in place in 2017 for all third party applications.
Here are the steps you need to set it up:
1. Turn on two-factor authentication
On your mobile device
- In your device settings, go to Password & Security
- Tap Turn on Two-Factor Authentication
- Tap Continue.
- On the next screen, enter the phone number where you want to receive verification codes when you sign in. You can choose to receive the codes by text or phone call. When you tap Next, Apple sends a verification code to the phone number you provided. Enter the verification code to verify your phone number and turn on two-factor authentication.
Then you will be sent a code by text that you need to enter on the next screen.
On your desktop
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Account Details
- Click Security
- Click Turn on Two-Factor Authentication
2. Generate an app-specific password
1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page
2. Now that you have set up two-factor authentication, you will use the code that is texted to you as part of the login
3. The second section down is the Security section, click Generate Password below App-Specific Passwords.
4. You'll be asked to create a label, which can be anything you want, like YouCanBook.me or YCBM.
5. That will give you the app-specific password. Copy this so you can use it later (please see TIP below!)
That's it! You're all done on the iCloud side.
3. Integrate with YouCanBook.me
Now head to your YouCanBook.me account and go to the integrations page. Click on the iCloud symbol to integrate.
Enter your iCloud email address and use the app-specific password that you just copied as the password.
Then you should be all set up with YouCanBook.me!
TIP: It's important to note that you will not be able to find the app-specific password again in your iCloud account so you will need to keep a note of it somewhere secure. (if you ever lose it, you can generate another one in your iCloud account using the steps above - and you will need to reauthorise your YouCanBook.me account with the new app-specific password).