Setting up Custom Availability
By default, YouCanBook.me automatically reads your calendar and blocks out times you are unavailable. If you need even more control of your schedule from week to week, choose Custom Availability.
The flexibility of this feature is powerful, giving you more control over your schedule from week to week, without the need to login to YouCanBook.me.
- Not available next Wednesday? Delete the event from your calendar.
- Need to have early meetings on Tuesday? Adjust the start time of the event on your calendar.
- Want to add some availability one Friday a month? Create a new event on Friday.
When you select this option you'll follow these 3 steps to get setup.
Step 1: Set your working hours
These will be the widest range of possible hours you may want to offer bookings from week to week. You're safe to check everyday if you might want to offer availability one Saturday a month. Remember we will only display booking times when you're available.
If you are creating a profile for your distributed team across multiple timezones, make sure the time range is wide enough to cover all team members available times.
Step 2: Choose a title for your events
This will be a key phrase you will use to identify when you're available for bookings directly on your linked calendar. It is case sensitive.
Step 3: Create events in your connected calendar
Whether you're using Google calendar or Outlook, the final step is to open that linked calendar in another browser window and create events titled with your key phrase during your working hours you've designated in Step 1.
The title must match completely - click Copy from #ycbm next to your selected title so you can paste them into your calendar event.
These events should be at least the length of your appointment duration, but can be longer.
These events also must be set to Free to be read as open for booking (new calendar events usually default to Busy).
Continue adding events to your calendar to populate your availability. If you're available the same block each week, make it a repeating event on your calendar.
When you've setup your availability on your linked calendar, you can come back to YouCanBook.me and refresh your browser window to see the availability populate.
Why isn't my Custom Availability showing on YouCanBook.me?
- Check that the key phrase in your Custom Availability event (spelling, capitalization and punctuation) is exactly the same as the one you have specified in YouCanBook.me so that YouCanBook.me recognizes it.
- Make sure that the calendar event times are aligned with the Availability you set under Times & availability > Availability. If you have an event at 9am but you set your availability to start at 10am, that time will not show as available for booking.
- Your calendar events need to be at least the length of your booking duration.
- For example, 30 minute meeting durations need at least a 30 minute event on your calendar.
- If you create longer blocks on your calendar that time will be divided by your set grid display increment.
- Make sure your key phrase is not a common word or string of letters. YouCanBook.me is looking for that phrase throughout your calendar so it should be something that won't be found in other, unrelated events. For example, using SS as your phrase, might mean YouCanBook.me finds the phrase in the word 'miss' or 'pass'.
- Be sure there are no other events in your calendar on that day that could be blocking the availability (anything busy like all-day events or declined invitations may block your availability).
- Double check you are adding the events to the same calendar we are looking at for availability.
- The events on your calendar must follow the same time increments as your grid display.
- For example with a grid display is set to 30 minutes, events need to start at either the top (:00) or bottom (:30) of the hour.